Brief introduction to Vmware ESXi
Vmware is a leading cloud and virtulization services and software company. It offers bare metal hypervisor called ESXi which directly runs on hardware unlike other virtulization software such as kvm or xen which needs underlying operating system.
In this post, we will cover step by step installation of vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) 6.5 using IPMI.
Before we start installation, download the ESXi installer iso from the official vmware website at below given URL. You must have account there to download the installer. You can find ESXI under Datacenter & Cloud Infrastructure.
VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) 6.5 installation
1. First of all, mount the iso in IPMI console and then set boot order to boot from virtual media.
2. Select ESXi-6.5.0 Standrad installer and hit enter.
3. Loading ESXi installer.
4. A welcome window would be shown next where you need to hit enter key to continue.
5. Press F11 key to accept end user license (eula) and to continue.
6. Esxi installer will scan available devices in few seconds.
7. Select local or remote disk to install ESXi. If you are going to use SAN storage, select remote. I am using local storage hence I selected local and then hit enter to continue.
8. Select preferred language and hit enter.
9. Enter a root password and make sure note down it somewhere. ESXi does not have single user mode like linux to reset the root password. So if you forget the root password, you most likely need to reinstall the server.
10. Press F11 to confirm installation and proceed further.
11. Below screenshot shows ESXi being installed.
12. Here you go, ESXi has been installed successfully. Now, plug out the iso and hit enter to reboot the server.
13. Configuration Screen. Press F2 key to customise the system.
14. If you want to change root password select configure password and hit enter.
15. To set new IP address for your ESXi host, select configure management network and then IPv4 configuration and hit enter.
You are done!